Friday, March 09, 2007

30 Second Movie Review: Frank Miller's 300

I have not been a big fan of comic book movies. Other than Spider-Man and Batman, there hasn’t been too much to brag about. Even the X-Men movies—which I enjoyed—left a lot to be desired. Frank Miller’s 300, on the other hand, is every thing it should be.

Live action and CGI have finally reached perfection. Panel by panel, blood splat by blood splat, this movie creates a perfect mirror of Miller’s graphic novel. It is all that Sin City was not. The cinematography and special effects are eyegasmicly beautiful. Yes, I am saying decapitations and gallons of blood are beautiful.

Here are a couple negative reviews that describe everything I love about the movie:

“300
is just a silly, yet melodramatic, cliched, comic-book version of Gladiator with Frank Miller art direction.” Neil Springer, JAM! Movies

300, even with its impressive vistas of computer-generated soldiers, is just a throwaway epic. Stephanie Zacharek, Salon Arts & Entertainment

Excuse me, but that’s the point. This is not a historically accurate geopolitical epic. It is a just a good old fashioned get your money's worth of a roller coaster. Perhaps a mention in the opening credits of its graphic novel origins would have helped. At least the Marvel Movies start with the Marvel logo and flashing comic pages.

Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times understands perfectly what 300 is trying to accomplish and reviewed it accordingly:

“If you thought "Gladiator" was a bit too stingy with the bloodshed, if you felt "Sin City" could have been more stylized, if you hate it when the masses refer to graphic novels as "comic books," this is your day.”

So if you love Frank Miller stuff, see this movie. If you love a good ass-kicking movie, see this movie. If you want that, "I need to run up the steps of Philadelphia's Museum of Art because I just saw Rocky II feeling," see this movie.

One word of warning, you might not want to take your girlfriends and wives with you. It is definitely not a “date movie.” You will have to watch 3 or 4 Sandra Bullock movies to make up for it. And who wants to do that?

Richard

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great review ... I liked Sin City quite a bit, but I'm looking forward to this one just being a whole new level of cool when I finally get to see it later today

3:41 AM, March 10, 2007  
Blogger rachelle said...

I agree with your entire review except the part about not bringing your wives or girlfriends. For obvious reasons, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with that. Besides, I think the sexy sexiness of the 300 Spartans will hold any lady's interest.

And to Mr Roeper I say: I hate it when the masses call comic books "graphic novels."

6:36 AM, March 10, 2007  
Blogger 1 Right Opinion Comics said...

Reel Fanatic,

Let me know what you think. If you liked Sin City, you will love 300.

Richard

11:30 AM, March 10, 2007  
Blogger 1 Right Opinion Comics said...

Rachelle,

I knew I would get some comments from the ladies about the "date movie" stuff. I originally had some of the following in the post:

1. Your girl might like all the half naked 8 packs (not six packs)running around on the screen.

2. If any of you fanboys have a girlfriend or wife, you might not want to take her.

3. Unless your a cool chick like "Rachelle" who reads comics, you might not get into it.

But, I tried hard to cut it to a 30 second read. I tend to ramble.

Richard

11:35 AM, March 10, 2007  
Blogger rachelle said...

Well...alright then. I am very cool.

12:29 PM, March 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download The Departed at CinemaNow

Powered by Blogger