Saturday, September 30, 2006

Foggy Says, "Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man!"

In case you haven't heard by now, Robert Downey Jr. will be Iron Man in the upcoming Jon Favreau movie.

My initial reaction to this news was not very good. In fact, I thought it would be a disaster. However, it has started to grow on me. For obvious reasons, Downey would be perfect to portray Tony Stark fighting his demons.

Even though Downey is a tremendous actor, I am not totally sold on whether he will be able to pull off the billionaire industrialist role. I am afraid he might come across as a parody of the "evil rich guy." Tony Stark is not a Wall Street (greed is good), type of guy. He is a subtle mix of Hugh Hefner and Richard Branson.

I am always confused as to why most comic book movie directors show no respect for the rich history available to them. There was absolutely no reason why Batgirl was not Commissioner Gordon’s daughter. By the simple act of making her related to Alfred, Joel Schumacher, spit in the face of 60 years of established storyline.

I do however, feel that most stories need to be updated for a new generation. Marvel has done this successfully with their Ultimate line of books. A perfect example is Sam Raimi’s decision to alter how Spider-Man produces his web. It was much more believable than a teenager inventing spring released gadgets that he attaches to his arm.

I feel the best thing going for this movie is Jon Favreau. Like Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan, he is perfect to direct this movie. I can't think of anything he has made that I didn’t like. He also seems to be going out of his way get input from the fan base. I just hope he is faithful to Iron Man’s 40 year history.

But tell me this; if Favreau has a role in the movie, will he have to explain why Foggy Nelson (his role in Daredevil) has a clone elsewhere in the Marvel Universe?

What do you guys think?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh,thought Cruise was gonna play him some yrs. back? But since he lost his deal so i guess it's understandable LoL I don't know how Robert is gonna sell his role as the billionare playboy industrialist. He doesn't have the look but then again,neither did Hugh Jackman playin' Worlverine. He prove the critics wrong so i'll give him a shot. Hopefully the script doesn't call 4 the origin,it's been told so many times in comics that i don't need 2 see it on the big screen.

2:34 PM, September 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still don't know what to think for sure. I've seen some great performances out of Downey, but I am still having a real hard time picturing him as Tony Stark.

Of course, I remember thinking they were crazy for having "Mr. Mom" play Batman, and that turned out pretty well, in my opinion anyway.

Of course, who am I kidding? I'll give it a shot, because I always do. I even watched both crap-tastic Fanatstic Four movies.

5:12 PM, September 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can only hope that Vince Vaughan can bring some class to this picture with his portrayal of Jim "Warmachine" Rhodes.

10:51 AM, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download The Departed at CinemaNow

Powered by Blogger