Monday, October 09, 2006

Wonder Woman: From The JLA to The OC

Are you ready for this, Joss Whedon has chosen the OC’s Rachel Bilson to be the new Wonder Woman.

Oh my God, why? She is totally wrong for this role. She is too young and way to small to be an Amazon. How in the hell are we supposed to believe she can fight—much less kick anyone’s ass? I’m sure this news is causing Linda Carter to roll over in her grave. Oh wait, she’s not dead yet. Or is she?

I was very happy when I heard Joss Whedon was directing Wonder Woman. I enjoyed watching Buffy and I even liked Angel (at least the first season). I really liked Firefly and was upset when it was cancelled. I think he has done a wonderful job writing Astonishing X-Men. I was even pleased that he scheduled to take over Runaways from Brian K. Vaughn.

So why would a comic friendly guy like Whedon choose Rachel Bilson? I have it from a good source that he has been struggling with the Wonder Woman script. He wants this movie to be as good as Batman Begins but frustrated because Wonder Woman’s origin and villains aren’t as cool. So in desperation he is returning to his roots. Wonder Woman will look and feel a whole lot like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

It seemed for quite some time Buffy herself (Sarah Michelle Gellar) was scheduled to play the Amazonian princess and was pretty upset when she was not chosen. Whedon had also considered Charisma Carpenter for the role. I had even heard that he seriously considered American Idol winner Katharine McPhee.

Perhaps Joss was inspired by This wonderful scene from the OC:



Did you watch it? To me it makes the choice even worse. She would be great as Donna Troy maybe, but NOT Wonder Woman!

Whedon might as well make this movie a series on The WB. Hey it worked for making Superman a teenage heart throb on Smallville.

So who would I choose for the role? I’m glad that you asked. If the movie was being made 15 years ago, Demi Moore would have been perfect. If it was made 10 years ago I would have chose Lucy Lawless. Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been great 5 years ago. In my right opinion, there is only one woman perfect for the role today, Kate Beckinsale. She’s the right age. She has already established that she can kick some ass, and she would look amazing in the Wonder Woman outfit.

Join me in bombarding Warner Brothers and Joss Whedon with emails. We can force a change of this ridicules choice before they start filming.

Later

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blech!

I never watched the OC, and after that clip, I never want to. She doesn't even really fill out the costume. I would rather Whedon use a "too old" Lawless than this chick. Even better still, I'd rather he dig through the headshots out there, and find sme no name tall, buxom brunette who can act that might fill the role. A relative unkown might work better. In fact, Katherine McPhee is a better choice in my mind.

I can't say I like this choice, at all. Wonder Woman is going to be hard enough to sell to the public anyway, especially with a little girl as the star.

9:29 AM, October 09, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the clip, it really proves your point. She looks like a mini-me Wonder Woman. Maybe Whedon should just abandon this project as he apparently does not have any vision for it.

2:59 PM, October 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical "Hollywood" tactics and 4 DC comics 2 even let her be considered is another reason that Marvel does well at the box office.

7:51 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger GiantKillerMantis said...

I've heard that Bilson's "people" have already denied this as untrue. She's beautiful, but she probably is too little to be WW. I'm hoping they get an unkown to play the part.

11:39 AM, December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Download The Departed at CinemaNow

Powered by Blogger